Having a safe and affordable home is one of life’s most basic necessities.

Whether you are renting or buying a home of your own, moving out is a big step to take and being prepared and finding out as much as possible about housing is a good idea.

If you are homeless or sofa surfing, check out the information below to see how you can access help and support.


Homelessness is when someone is sleeping on the streets, sofa surfing, staying in a hostel/ B&B, squatting or living in an unsafe or overcrowded condition.

If you are homeless it is best to seek advice sooner rather than later, contact our youth homelessness officer Lauren for help!

Lauren.chapman@rctcbc.gov.uk / 07385086155


How can I get help?

RCT Housing advice centre (can we add website here?) Homelessness advice and support | Rhondda Cynon Taf County Borough Council (rctcbc.gov.uk) may be able to provide advice linked to your needs and work closely with other specialist agencies to help you get back home or if necessary, provide you with temporary accommodation until other housing options can be explored. The help that you are entitled to will depend on your individual situation and whether you are currently homeless or likely to be homeless within the next 56 days.

You can contact housing advice through the following: ….

  • Visit in person at Sardis House Pontypridd CF37 1DU
  • Telephone The Housing Advice Centre: 01443 495188
  • Out of Hours Emergency Service: 01443 425011
  • Email: homelessness@rhondda-cynon-taff.gov.uk

The Housing Advice Centre is Rhondda Cynon Taf County Borough Council’s specialist housing advice service for people who need help with housing and homelessness.

They are open:

  • Monday 9:00am – 5:00pm
  • Tuesday 9:00am – 5:00pm
  • Wednesday 9:00am – 5:00pm
  • Thursday – Telephone contact only (Emergency Assessments will remain available – please telephone in the first instance)
  • Friday 9:00am – 5:00pm


If you’ve been kicked out and not sure what to do next. Watch the below video for more information: https://youtu.be/nDwqCA7Yn_c?list=PLTYRQfhsIa8UB5Krfef9-DXk9r-UFUUQi


Leaving Home

Leaving home is a big step so make sure you have secured a place to live before you go. Leaving home with nowhere to go can result in you becoming homeless, which affects thousands of young people from all backgrounds each year in Wales.

If you are really unhappy and you feel unsafe to stay at home, you can get advice from RCT Children Services on 01443 425006 between the hours of 9am-5pm Monday to Friday or 01443 743665 if after 5pm.

Finding accommodation in Wales can be very difficult, if you are thinking about leaving home get in touch with our Youth Homelessness Officer Lauren for a chat about your options.

If you’re arguing with parents Llamau has a mediation service that can help you and your family to resolve conflict.  Family Mediation at Llamau

Take a look at the following resources for more information on leaving home:

Moving out | NSPCC

Moving out | Childline

Moving out of home – tips for young people – Better Health Channel

Moving Out of Home | Level Up | HSBC UK – YouTube

Setting up your first home – Shelter Cymru

Useful Contacts:

If you think we have missed out any important information, please let us know. You can call the YEPS team on 01443 281436 or email at yeps@rctcbc.gov.uk