Passport and Visa

Work Visas And Permits

Working abroad is a great way of getting to know a country, but before you go away it is vital you make sure you get the right work visa or permit.

  • If you wish to go to a country that is part of the EFTA, EEA or European Union then you don’t need a visa or work permit
  • There are many schemes which organise work placements abroad such as Camp America or some jobs where you work as a TEFL (teaching English as a foreign language) teacher. These companies will organise your work visa for you
  • Depending on which country you want to go to, you might need to show proof that you have a job there before you leave. This is the case in the USA, where your employers will have to sponsor your work visa
  • You could get in touch with the embassy of the country you want to travel to which can tell you about work visa requirements for that country
  • You can check what you need to visit each country with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s directory


If you want to travel abroad you will need to have a passport. Everyone, including babies, must have their own passport if they are travelling overseas.

  • To apply for a passport you can pick up a form at your local post office and apply by post. You can also apply online through the Passport Office’s website
  • From the time they receive your application, the passport office tries to get your new passport to you within three weeks, but at busy times, such as the summer holidays, it may take longer. Therefore it is important you make sure your passport is up to date with plenty of time before you go on holiday
  • In emergencies (if you need to travel in less than two weeks) you can go to a passport office near you and queue to get a passport on the same day. There is a passport office in Newport, south Wales, and also one in Liverpool
  • Some countries will not allow you entry if your passport runs out within six months of the date you are travelling, or if you only have a few blank pages left in it for visas. You should check before you go away if this is the case with the country you are travelling to
  • Your passport is a very important document. If you have an accident or something happens to you when you are on holiday you will need your passport to get help from a hospital or the police – keep your passport in a safe place or with you at all times while you are away
  • If your passport is lost or stolen overseas, you should contact the nearest British Embassy, High Commission or Consulate immediately for advice
  • It is a good idea to make a photocopy of the photo pages of your passport and keep it in a safe place separate to your passport when you go on holiday

Gov.UK’s A-Z on passports

Visas For Travel

A visa is an official document that allows you to travel to certain countries. Any visas you are issued with will be attached to one of the pages in your passport.

  • Following the Brexit vote, it remains unclear whether free movement of the continent will continue after the EU leaving terms are finalised. However, as it stands if you travel in the European Union and you are a British Citizen you will not need a visa, but in other countries you probably will need one
  • It is more difficult to get a visa to enter some countries than it is for others. You may also have to pay for some visas
  • You must make sure you have got the right type of visa for the trip you want to take. Most tourist visas will last three months, but if you want to work when you are away, you will need a different kind of visa (see the working visas section)
  • You will have to get a visa before you travel, so make sure you leave enough time before you go away to get one. There are companies who can organise a visa for you, but this may cost
  • You can check what you need to visit each country with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s directory