My Education

Image for My Education

Who can I talk to about support with my Education?

Here is a list of some of the different people you can talk to about your education;

  • Your parents
  • School Staff – Your Designated CLA Person, Head of Year, Pastoral staff
  • Education Coordinator for CLA/ CLA Education Team
  • Your Social Worker
  • Educational Psychologist
  • Foster Carers
  • Advocate
  • IRO


If you decide to stay on in school or go to college after you are 16 years old you could get up to £30 weekly allowance to help you with your studies. The money is paid every two weeks directly into your bank account. If you want to find out more about getting EMA you can visit


If you have taken the plunge and have decided you would like to go to University, there are lots of different types of support available for you to access.


Firstly, you should be able to access a range of grants and loans and additional help through Student Finance Wales depending on your circumstances.  To find out more information visit


Rhondda Cynon Taf may be able to pay for your student fees and accommodation to reduce the money pressures of going to university. If you would like more information on what support is available if you want to stay in education, please speak to your social worker.


You could also receive the Higher Education Bursary if you go to University. This is a sum of money that can be spent on things you may need to help you with your studies.

NNECL Quality Mark for Care Leavers – launching in autumn 2021, the Quality Mark is awarded to universities and colleges by the National Network for the Education of Care Leavers (NNECL)/ The Quality Mark shows the university or college recognises where universities and college provide an inclusive environment and support through the student journey to – and through – higher education. As it was only launched in October

2021, only a small number of universities and colleges that participated in the pilot programme have received the award to date, so always check the care experience page on the provider’s website.

Here are some other helpful links below: