Where Will I Live?

Wherever possible you should live within Rhondda Cynon Taf, where you can still see your family, friends and carry on with your education as long as it is safe to do so.

Kinship Care

Kinship care means you live with a family member such as a grandparent or a friend of your family. Children’s Services will explore whether there is anyone in your family who can look after you before looking for a foster placement or residential placement.

Foster Care

If you can’t live with a parent or family member, you may live with a foster family/carer. All foster carers are different and come from different backgrounds but they are all trained to look after children.

Sometimes it takes a little bit of time to settle down and feel comfortable in a foster placement. This is perfectly normal!

Residential Home (Children’s Home)

A Residential Home is a house where you and other children live together and are cared for by staff members who make sure that you feel safe.

Children’s Services has 2 residential homes in Rhondda Cynon Taf:

  • Beddau Community Home is just outside Pontypridd and provides long-term placements for up to 5 young people.
  • Bryndar Community Home is in Aberdare and it provides long-term care for up to 5 young people.

There are other community homes both inside and outside of Rhondda Cynon Taf that are not run by Children’s Services which are sometimes used to keep you safe.

You will be placed as close to your home area as possible.

Short Breaks

  • Nantgwyn is a residential home in Cwmdare, Aberdare. It provides short breaks to children and young people aged between 6 and 18 years who a have a learning or physical disability.
  • Ash Square is an Action for Children home in Rhydyfelin. Like Nantgwyn it provides short breaks for children aged 5-18 who have a learning or physical disability.

Placement With Parents

Some children and young people can return to live with their parents when it’s safe to do so but are still looked after because there is a Care Order in place.

Secure Accommodation

Young people might be looked after in secure accommodation for their welfare and protection. Young people only move to secure accommodation when there is a very serious risk of harm to themselves or to other people.

Young Offenders’ Institution

Young people can be placed in Young Offenders’ Institution’s whilst they are on remand (waiting to go to court) or after they’ve been sentenced. Children are looked after whilst they are on remand.